After realizing that I may be using mp-wp differently from how others use the software I decided that in order to serve this market I would first have to pay off some research debt1. There are two surveys: one for mp-wp users, and one for users of any other blog software.
The survey is meant to be completed in the comments below this article. Feedback on the survey itself is also welcome.
Survey for mp-wp users
- Do you use the mp-wp admin interface (web UI)? If so, what actions do you perform via this interface?
- Have you modified any of the "settings" in the mp-wp mysql database (also found in the web UI under "Settings" in the left-hand nav)? If so, which ones? When/how often? Via mysql CLI or via the web UI?
- Do you run any custom plugins on top of what's included in the trunk of mp-wp?
- Have you modified an included theme or created a new theme that you actively use on one of your sites/properties? If so, why / what did you modify?
- Do you run mp-wp with any other code modifications (outside of themes and plugins)? If so, why / what did you modify?
- Describe your typical workflow when publishing an article to your blog (including any pre/post steps, and any other tools/scripts/etc. outside of mp-wp). Include details about working with images, code samples, etc.
- What do you find most tedious or annoying about using mp-wp? (can be related to any aspect of using mp-wp)
- What do you like most about using mp-wp?
Survey for users of other blog software
- What blog software do you currently use?
- How is the blog configured (any knobs to turn, theming, plugins/extensions, etc.)?
- Describe your workflow when publishing an article (including any pre/post steps, and any other tools/scripts/etc. outside of the blog software itself). Include details about working with images, code samples, etc.
- What do you find most tedious or annoying about using your current blog software?
- What do you like most about using your current blog software?
- Have you considered switching to mp-wp? What (if anything) would it take for you to switch?
- What is your primary reason for maintaining a blog?
- It also led me to pay off some personal debt, including becoming more literate with command line tools such as
awk, so win-win really. [↩]
- Completeness here is subjective and I reserve the right to not honor any response that I judge to be intentionally half-assed or made in bad faith. [↩]
- Limit 15 respondents. Good for two weeks from the publish date of this article. After taking the survey, send me an invoice via deedbot with a link to your comment as the memo. We needn't have interacted before but I have to have at least seen you talking in one of the channels at some point, and not in a way that got you kicked out. [↩]